Types of Information We Collect
- Personal Information: Personal information is information to specifically identify an individual, such as a customer's name, address, e-mail address, and information about that individual's activities when directly linked to that person. Personal information also includes demographic information, such as date of birth, gender, geographic area, and preferences, when such information is linked to other personal information that identifies the individual.
- Aggregate Information: Personal information does not include "aggregate" information. Aggregate information is data we collect about a group or category of products, services or customers, from which individual customer identities have been removed. In other words, information about how you use a service might be collected and combined with information about how others use the same service, but no personal information will be included in the resulting data. Likewise, information about the products you purchase might be collected and combined with information about the products purchased by others. Aggregate data helps us understand trends and customer needs so that we can better consider new products and services, and tailor existing products and services to customer desires. We might share aggregate information about our users with third parties for various purposes, such as helping us better understand and improve our services, and for advertising and marketing purposes.
How We Collect and Use Personal Information
Maple Leaf Foods, Inc. collects personal information from you at several different points on our Web site, as set forth below. In general, we use personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, for our own internal business operations, to respond to customer support inquiries and for other purposes as described below.
Registration; Other Information Submissions
- When you register to become a member on our Web site, you are asked to create a unique login and password, and are required to give certain personal information (such as your name, email address, and province). We might also request certain information about your tastes and preferences (such as your favorite food, purchases or recipes).
- Information you provide during registration might be used for some or all of the following:
- to provide services you have requested, or to otherwise fulfill your request; and
- to contact you from time to time (i) about services on our Web site for which you have expressed interest; (ii) with news, (iii) for internal marketing, informational, and promotional purposes; or (iv) for any other lawful purpose related to your use of the Web site.
- Additionally, your registration information might be used, together with other information you submit to us in conjunction with your use of the Web site, for the following purposes:
- for editorial purposes, such as when you submit a recipe to us (e.g., to attribute your submitted recipe to you);
- to contact you for any reason regarding content you have submitted to the Web site (e.g., to ask you a question about a recipe you have submitted); and
- to identify you by name when posting content you submit to us on the Web site (e.g., when you request a recipe on the Web site, to post your name and a description of the recipe you are requesting).
- Any information that is not personally identifiable information but is publicly displayed on the Web site (such as user name and photos) might appear in the results of searches conducted on Internet search engines while you are a member of the Web site and potentially for some time period after your membership is terminated, depending upon the search engine's indexing practices.
As an Appehtite member, you will receive our transactional business communications (e.g. membership communications, administrative messages, etc.) at your email address. In addition you have the opportunity to opt-in to subscribe to one or more of our email subscription programs. If you opt-in to receive email from one of our subscription programs you will have the ability to opt-out at any time. See the Email and Newsletters section below for information on how to manage your subscriptions.
Email and Newsletters
When you submit your email address to us to initiate a subscription to one of our newsletters we ask for personal information such as your name and email address. This personal information is only used to send you the newsletter(s) you are opted in to receive. You may choose not to receive promotional emails or electronic newsletters from us by: (A) following the "unsubscribe" instructions in the specific email from which you wish to opt-out; (B) contacting [[Customer Service]] and specifying the particular email(s) from which you wish to be removed.
Contests, Promotions, Offers, and Surveys
From time to time Appehtite may requests personal information from users via contests, promotions, offers and surveys. Participation in these contests, promotions, offers, and surveys is completely voluntary and you therefore may choose whether to disclose personal information in connection with these activities. Personal Information requested in these activities might include contact information (e.g., your name and shipping address) and demographic information (e.g., your postal code or age level). We use this information to notify you if you've won and to award prizes. We use information we collect in surveys for internal purposes, such as to ascertain the use of this Web site and improve its usefulness to you. These disclosures are discussed in greater detail below in the "Disclosure of Personal Information" section.
We collect personal information when you submit comments, statuses, recipes, questions or suggestions to our customer service department. We use the information you provide to respond to your submission and use the ideas to make site improvements.
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Log Files
- Web Beacons: We use, and permit third parties to use, "Web beacons" (also known as Internet tags, pixel tags, single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, invisible GIFs, 1-by-1 GIFs, and Web bugs) on our Web site and in our e-mail newsletters, to monitor the effectiveness of advertising and for other lawful purposes. These Web beacons do not collect personally identifying information about you on our Web site.
- Log Files: We track log files on our Web site (i.e., we log your computer's IP address into our log files when you visit a page on our Web site) and use them to analyze trends, administer the Web site, track your movements on the Web site, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. We might link some or all of this information to personally identifiable information that is stored on a cookie in your computer. We only use information gathered from these activities for our internal marketing and operational purposes.
- Third Party Service with Cookies: We may use one or more third party services to compile nonpersonal information regarding our user's browsing habits, such as page views, visits, unique visitors, etc.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- Consent: With your consent, we might disclose your personal information to third parties in order to provide you with products and services that you have requested.
- With your consent, we might disclose information you provide to us during registration to third parties in conjunction with (i) your entry into a contest or promotion, (ii) your participation in a survey or similar activity on the Web site. You might be asked for additional information in order to enter the contest or promotion, or participate in a survey. The third parties will use the information we provide to them, along with any information you provide during your entry, request, or participation, in order to notify you if you have won a prize in a contest or sweepstakes. These third parties are contractually obligated to keep all such information confidential and to only use it for the purposes for which it was provided. When we provide information collected during a contest, promotion, offer, or survey on the Web site to third parties, we always disclose this to you at the time of collection.
- Appehtite's Own Business Purposes: We use and disclose information about you for our own internal statistical, design, or operational purposes, such as to estimate our audience size, measure aggregate traffic patterns, and understand demographic, user interest, purchasing and other trends among our users. We might outsource these tasks and disclose personal information about you to third parties, provided the use and disclosure of your personal information by these third parties is restricted to performance of such tasks. We might also share personal information with third-party vendors who assist us in performing internal functions necessary to operate our business. We require our third party vendors to keep such information confidential and to only use the information for the purpose it was provided.
- Business Transfers: Information about our users, including personal information, might be disclosed as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of company assets, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which personally identifiable information could be transferred to third parties as one of the business assets of the company.
We do not intend, and the Website is not designed, to collect personal information from children under the age of 18. If you are under 18 years old, you should not register for our services or otherwise provide information on our Website and should ask your parent to do so for you.
Third Party Web Site Advertising - General
Third Party Links
Third Party Sources
We use reasonable security measures to store and maintain personally identifying information so as to protect it from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction by unauthorized parties while it is under our control. We use secure socket layer ("SSL") encryption when transmitting certain kinds of information.
Correcting/Updating Personal Information
We give you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving commercial e-mail from us by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the message. Even if you opt-out in this manner, however, you will still receive account-related messages from us. To get placed on our "DO NOT E-MAIL" list, send a request to [[Link here]]. If your e-mail address is added to the "DO NOT E-MAIL" list, you will not receive any newsletters or other opt-in e-mail messages. Please note, however, that your e-mail address being placed on the "DO NOT E-MAIL" list does not prevent you from receiving "send-to-a-friend" e-mail messages, or email messages from third parties from which you requested information, products, or services from during or immediately after registration. To opt-out from messages from these third parties, or from any other communications that you receive directly from third parties, you must contact them directly in order to opt-out.
Maple Leaf Foods Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 61016
Phone: 1-800-268-3708 (between 8:30 - 5:30 ET)
Back to top